A name that is synonymous with Excellence in Embryology. A world famous Medical Author and Researchers based out of Canada.
Dr. Alex C Varghese received his PhD in Biochemistry from University of Calcutta, India for his thesis based on ART. He was a Post Doctoral Research Fellow and Faculty in ART training program at the Center for Reproductive Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, USA from 2007 to 2008 and then he joined as the Scientific Director and Chief Embryologist at the Fertility Clinic, AMRI Hospital, Kolkata, India from 2008 to 2011. In the year 2011, he joined the team of Prof. S.L.Tan at Montreal Reproductive Centre, Quebec, Canada.
Since 1997, Dr. Alex is active in Clinical Embryology and has initiated many successful training programs in ART and helped in designing and setting up of many IVF units in India. In the year 2010 he founded the educational web platform for IVF professionals - www.lifeinvitro.com, which is now popular in 165 countries. He has authored over 30 manuscripts and edited 8 books in IVF, published by Springer, USA, CRC press and Jaypee Medical Publishers respectively.
He has also published 17 book chapters in the area of assisted conception. He is also in the editorial board of Journal of Assisted Reproduction, Genetics (ASRM) and International Journal of Infertility and Fetal Medicine, Journal of Reproductive and Stem Cell Biotechnology and Obstetrics and Gynecology International and Ad Hoc Reviewer for Reproductive Biomedicine Online, Fertility and Sterility.
Dr. Alex’s research interests are in Assisted Reproductive Technology, in particular, in understanding the molecular and environmental causes and prevention of male infertility, vitrification of gametes and embryos and developing stress-free embryo culture systems for In-Vitro Fertilization. He is also the Co-investigator in the research project funded by Dept. of Biotechnology, Govt. of India and the Immediate Past President of Academy of Clinical Embryologists, India. He is also the Organizing Chairperson for the 4th International Congress of Academy of Clinical Embryologist to be held at Cochin, India from 18-20th September 2015.
Brief of Professional Experience:
- Visiting Embryologist: Manipal Ankur Andrology & Reproductive Sciences, and IVF Centres in Eastern and Southern India (2012 - 2014)
- Senior Embryologist: Montreal Reproductive Centre, Montreal, QC, Canada (2011- 2012, Led by Prof. S.L. Tan- The founding director of London Women’s Clinic & McGill University IVF Program)
- Scientific Director & Chief Embryologist: Fertility Clinic & IVF Division, AMRI Medical Centre, Kolkata, India (2008 - 2011)
- Post Doctoral Research Fellow and Faculty-ART Training: Center for Reproductive Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio, USA (2007-2008)
- Director- Research & Development: Molecular Research & Investigation Center, Kolkata, India (2006) • Visiting Embryologist: SRIJAN - Centre for Human Reproduction, Patna, ICRC, Dhaka (2002 - 2006) & Senior Research Fellow, University of Calcutta
- Chief Embryologist: SRIJAN - Centre for Human Reproduction, Patna, India (1999 - 2002)
- Embryologist: Center for Infertility Management & Assisted Reproduction, Edappal Hospitals, Kerala, India (1997 - 1998 )
- Research Fellow: Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute, Kolkata, India (1995 - 1996)
- Research Fellow: Bose Institute, Calcutta (1993)
- First Embryo Vitrification pregnancy in Eastern India
- First Egg Vitrification Pregnancy in Eastern India
- First IVF pregnancy in Bihar (2002)- SRIJAN, Patna
- Organized the first ICSI hands-on Workshop in India in the year 2004, at University of Calcutta)
- Selected to International Who’s Who Biographical Society in 2011
- Founder of Lifeinvitro.com, the knowledge based website in IVF which is popular in 165 Countries
- Special Training: Embryonic Stem Cell Culture: Reliance Life Sciences, Mumbai, India (March 2007), PGD training, August 2010, Reliance Life Sciences
Environmental risk factors and male infertility, Role of oxidative stress and use of antioxidants in ART, Vitrification and IVM of Immature Oocytes, Genomics and Post Genomic Approaches to Elucidate Male Infertility, Non-Invasive Embryo Selection and Development of Embryo Culture Systems.
- Center for Reproductive Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, USA
- Assam Central University, India
- Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute, India
- IVI, Valencia, Spain
- Androfert, Brazil
- Examiner for PhD thesis, Human sperm Cryopreservation, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, India, 2008.
- Examiner for Dtech thesis, The Impact of Organic Hydroperoxides, Sperm Function & Apoptosis, Faculty of Health & Wellness Sciences, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, South Africa (2009).
- Exminer for PhD thesis, Genetics of Male factor Infertility, Tamil Nadu Dr.MGR Medical University, Chennai, India (2010).
- Examiner for MTech Thesis, Faculty of Health & Wellness Sciences, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, South Africa (2010).
- External Preceptor - Summer Interns, Center for Reproductive Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA. • Expert Panel Member/ Research Grant Reviewer – Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India.