Fetal Medicine and Perinatology
Fetal Medicine offers comprehensive fetal care with services ranging from preconception counselling to diagnosing the fetal problems and therapy for in-utero conditions.
A group of committed obstetricians, fetal medicine consultant, geneticists and neonatologists ensure that both the mother and child successfully undergo term.
Facilities in the Department
– We employ high-end state-of-the-art ultrasound machines like, Voluson E10 and E8 in order to deliver best diagnostic results.
– Our Ultrasound scans are powered by SONOCARE, a reporting software specifically designed to meet the changing needs of ultrasound reporting, image capture and retrieval.
– The Consultant performing NT scans are accredited to Fetal Medicine Foundation, UK. It includes Universal Screening of all pregnant women for Downs’s syndrome after Pre-test counselling. If screening returns positive, women will be offered diagnostic test to confirm the condition.
Services Provided At Clinic
1. Early pregnancy scan: Performed Before 10 weeks
Evaluate different factors such as; the location of pregnancy, R/o ectopic pregnancy, viability of fetus, number of fetuses, adnexal evaluation and check for uterine anomalies.
2. First trimester NT scan: 11 – 13+6 weeks
Assessment of NT, NB and other markers, checking for any major structural abnormalities, performing dating scan, assessment of chorionicity in Twins pregnancy, combined screening with blood test.
3. First trimester Uterine artery Doppler
4. Early anomaly scan: 16+0 – 17+6 weeks
Performed for Women who missed NT scan and screening for Down’s syndrome with QUAD test.
5. Detailed Anomaly scan: 18w – 21 weeks.
Strictly adhering to the guidelines set by the International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology (ISUOG), detect congenital abnormalities in the fetus.
6. Advanced Fetal Echocardiography: 22 weeks
- In case there is a previous child with heart diseases or in case the Mother has a history of heart disease.
- In case Mother has pre-gestational diabetic and other indications.
7. Fetal wellbeing growth scan
8. Colour Doppler study
Evaluation of blood flow across umbilical artery, middle cerebral artery, ductous venosus etc.
9. Customized growth charts for predicting early growth lags if any.
10. Cervical assessment
11. Fetal 3D & 4D scan
12. Scan for other indications
13. Evaluation of the FGR fetus
14. Complicated Twins evaluation
Invasive Procedures (Both diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Chorionic Villous Sampling
A form of prenatal diagnosis to ascertain chromosomal and genetic disorders in the fetus.
- Fetal Blood Sampling (FBS)
Process of collecting the fetal blood directly from the umbilical cord of fetus in order to test signs of anemia and other problems.
- A variant of amniocentesis that is performed for internally reducing amniotic fluid volume.
- Fetal Intrauterine Transfusion
- Fetal Shunt
Medical procedure of inserting a hollow shunt through the mother uterus to drain fluid into the amniotic cavity.
- Fetal Therapeutic treatment for complicated multiple pregnancy (LASER/RFA/Cord coagulation).
- Other invasive procedures if any.
Blood Tests related to Fetal Medicine
- 1st trimester Double marker for Aneuploidies – BhCG & PAPP-A.
- 1st trimester Triad for Aneuploidies, Preeclampsia and Neural Tube defects.
- 2nd trimester Quadruple test
- Non-invasive cell free DNA (NIPT).
- Parental Karyotyping
- Thalassemia screening
- Other tests if any.
Aims at offering emotional support to couples who experience distress at the time of childbirth.
– Counselling offered to couples with a family history of a Genetic problem
– Counselling offered in case of a fetus with possible Genetic Syndrome